Saturday 8 October 2011

Jack of All Trades

3 out of 4 of my kitchen cabinets have been broken for months. The hinges were broken and I had to resort to either holding the cabinet door with one hand while taking whatever I needed with the other. If I needed to use two hands, like carrying my toaster oven out of the cabinet, I would have to hold the door up with my head.

-_- I know... sad right...

So after months of suffering, Cobby finally decided to go hunt for new hinges to save his damsel in distress. Unfortunately, we couldn't find any proper ones in our usual DIY shops. Bo bian, we decided to call our very own Jack of all trades, my Dad.

Within days, he found the right hinges at a hardware shop in Kranji, and stopped by one morning to help me fix it up. (Jolie saw her gong-gong and wanted to help too)


When we tried the newly fixed door, I felt so touched! 感动!!! Finally, I didn't need to hold up the door with my hand or my head anymore! On top of that, while Dad was fixing the door, I got to clean up the insides of the cupboards. So I got clean cupboards with working doors! What a happy day!

No offence to anyone, but somehow, older men are just more useful. We used to live in a private house when we were little, and Dad was our very own handyman. Everything in the house, electrical, mechanical and even plumbing is fixed by Dad. He does not have a engineering degree, but whatever he needs, he learn most of it himself, via trial and error. I guess it's just more economical that way, he started out poor, so you had to do whatever you can to save money.

Nowadays, with a comfy income and cushy lifestyle, it's way easier to just pay someone to help you. So sometimes I wonder if it's good idea to even consider getting a private house. Would we have to hire someone to fix every little thing at home?

Anyway, really thankful that Dad could help me. Of course I didn't make him work for free. I paid for the hinges, the workmanship and best of all, a delicious lunch. Pretty good deal for him!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... "older men are just more useful." U mean when Cobby gets even older, he will buy the correct hinges?

    I can fix hinges too -_- I'm the handy woman at home., fixing most things.

    Anyway did ur dad bought the hinges or the compression stick that will make the door close slowly? the compression stick is spoilt, I can only open the door at a certain angle, otherwise I have to hold it with my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, actually it's the compression sticks. Almost all of my compression sticks were broken, so like you, I had to hold it up with one arm or use my head if I need two hands. ;P

    You wanna know which wu jing dian to buy? I can ask my dad. It's not easily found.

    ReplyDelete